"https://nothing2wearnovello.com/" nothing 2 wear : What The Heck Is Pantone?

Sunday, February 9, 2014

What The Heck Is Pantone?


orchid bouqet


 

QUIZ time! How many different shades of purple can you spot in the picture to the left? 

If you answered with "Um, light purple, dark purple and even darker purple" than for the love of Pantone please read on!








Hey guys, so you know how I'm often brutally honest with you on this blog? Today is going to be no exception because I have a little nugget of honesty to share with you. 

When I first read an article about the "Pantone color of the year" back in 2013, I somehow read  "Panettone" color of the year. I then proceeded to refer to it as such for several weeks until someone pointed out that I had basically made up a new word.

Well, for those of you not raised in an Italian household Panettone is in fact a real word, so HA! Its actually an Italian dessert bread usually with raisins or candied apricots, its really good dunked in a cappuccino and especially good when you use it to substitute your toast bread for french toast.
What was I talking about? Oh ya, Pantone (not as tasty but equally as riveting). I'm hoping I may not be the only deprived soul who wasn't born knowing everything there is to know about the "Pantone Color Institute". Or more specifically, confused it with a dessert bread.

So I'm here today with another fashion lesson to help you (me) understand what exactly all the hype is about. After hours of research reading their Wiki page, I think I got it sorted out. And of course I will share with you the most relevant points.


- Pantone began as a commercial printing company in 1950

- They became widely known for their "Color Matching System". The System is a standardized color reproduction system. The standardizing of colors allows for different designers and manufacturers in different locations to refer to the Pantone system to match colors without having to directly contact one another.

- There are 1,114 colors in the Pantone Color System.

- In year 2000 the Color of the Year was first introduced. The color of choice that year was Cerulean. 

- The 2014 Pantone Color of the Year is Radiant Orchid which is described as a color that has the ability to intrigue the eye and spark the imagination.
radiant orchid
So if 2014is the year of Radiant Orchid you can bet your butt you'll be seeing it pop everywhere from interior design to textiles, and fashion. Yup, fash-un. That is the reason why I brought it up after all. 

Why should you try to incorporate some Radiant Orchid into your wardrobe this  spring?
I think Pantone said it best when they explained how Radiant Orchid’s rosy undertones radiate on the skin, producing a healthy glow. Sounds fancy doesn't it?

A dazzling attention-getter, Radiant Orchid was obvious on the runways during the spring 2014 fashion shows and is already making its way onto the red carpet and our closets. Check out some of the Radiant Orchid goodies currently available on Net-A-Porter



ysl tribute
Saint Laurent Tribute Sandals


tibi top
Tibi Silk Tank

phillip lim purse
Phillip Lim Medium Trapeze Bag

How gorgeous is that bag? 

So what have we learned today? Pantone; a word that's not even recognized by my spell check, that wasnt part of my vocabulary for the past 30 years, and yet somehow I managed to survive. So don't beat yourself up if up until now you had no idea what the heck it is. And if you confused it with a dessert then please drop me a line, we are probably soul mates.

 opening photo is of my wedding bouquet. Laura May Photography

5 comments:

  1. Ha! I love panettone! What I like best about radiant orchid is that there seem to be so many fantastic shades that surround it!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool post<3!!

    Make sure to check out my blog, I do a combination of health, animals and fashion weekly!

    www.laurinawong.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen so many variations of Radiant Orchid from Magenta to Lavender. Does that mean any hue of the purple pictured above is considered Radiant Orchid?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. It's great that you shared so many shades of orchid, since there's not just one color for everyone.
    www.lifesacupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete